Board Members Sought
ArtsCan Resource Network is seeking people for its volunteer Board of Directors who are passionate about making a difference in the world by connecting artists, businesses, and services, and offering sustainable, effective and innovative programming. If that describes you, we should talk.
This particular posting is for the Secretary position; other volunteer board positions are soon becoming available. Please feel free to contact us (see info below) about this position or the others. The Secretary is a director and key executive on the society’s board.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Maintains the records of the society and ensures effective management of organization’s records;
- Records minutes of all board meetings and the Annual General Meeting;
- Ensures minutes are distributed to members in a timely fashion after each meeting;
- Is sufficiently familiar with non-profit legal documents (articles, by-laws, Societies Act, etc.) to note applicability during meetings;
- Proof-reads documents and text which will be presented to the public or to granting agencies; and
- Assists in the preparation of grant applications and program documents.
Qualifications and Experience
- Reasonable spare time to devote to the position – expected to be approximately 8 to 12 hours per month or 4 to 6 hours every other week;
- An administration or business background with experience in record keeping is strongly preferred;
- Experience in minute taking and producing documents using MS Office applications (Word, Excel);
- Knowledge of, or willingness to learn about the Societies Act;
- A home computer or laptop that will support online meetings (via Zoom or Skype), and willingness to attend a majority of meetings on this type of platform; and
- Preference will be given to those with knowledge of or eagerness to learn about social media platforms such as Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter, occasional blog postings in WordPress, and mailing list management tools such as MailChimp.
Who We Are
We are a small, friendly and lively board which is moving toward appropriate and professional governance for our organization. We work closely together to deliver our mandate and develop our member base and relationships with those in the arts and business worlds.
About ArtsCan Resource Network
The ArtsCan Resource Network connects members of the arts community, cultural workers, creative industries, arts organizations, individuals and businesses. This is done by
- Developing and maintaining a searchable online directory;
- Creating a variety of forums, online and in person, for members to build relationships and networks;
- Offering members promotional opportunities, in print and online; and
- Facilitating information exchange and dissemination via the ArtsCan website and social media.
Interested applicants are invited to email a cover letter with subject line “Board Position” before January 15th, 2020 to:
Leah Murray, Vice President
ArtsCan Resource Network
Please indicate why you are interested in this position and attach your pdf resume or curriculum vitae.
Please note that PDF documents or plain text in the email body are the only types of documents that we can accept. Thank you for your interest.